Support The Moscow Times!

Kremlin Warns of Fraudsters Charging for Questions at Putin's Annual Call-In Show

The Kremlin's spokesman warned that fraudsters might set up websites charging money in exchange for false promises of the privilege of submitting a question to President Vladimir Putin during his annual call-in show.

"We will ask for help from law enforcement authorities" to prevent such fraud, spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in comments carried by the Izvestia newspaper on Tuesday.

The report noted that questions can be submitted for the April 16 call-in show for free, beginning on April 9, and that the government will receive submissions via its own website and hotline.

Last year fraudsters were caught charging 50 rubles (then $1.40) per submission, Peskov said at the time. Putin has held 12 call-in shows during his 15 years in power.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.