Support The Moscow Times!

Foreign Ministry Says Russian Woman Killed in Tunisia Terror Attack

Bouquets of flowers are laid at the beachside of the Imperial Marhaba resort, which was attacked by a gunman in Sousse, Tunisia, June 28, 2015.

A Russian woman was among 39 tourists killed in a terrorist attack that saw a gunman open fire on a beach in the Tunisian resort of Sousse, the Foreign Ministry has said.

DNA tests helped to identify one of the victims of last week's attack as a Russian national who had been staying at the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba, the ministry said Monday in an online statement.

The woman — who was born in 1961, according to the statement — had been listed as missing since the attack, Ekho Moskvy radio reported. Her daughter was wounded in the leg and shoulder, and underwent surgery at a Tunisian hospital, the Foreign Ministry added.

Most of the victims in Friday's attack were British, and Prime Minister David Cameron called for the country to observe a minute's silence at noon on Friday, July 3 as a mark of respect for those killed.

The gunman, identified as 23-year-old student Seifeddine Rezgui, was killed by police at the scene, though media reports have suggested that more than one person may have been involved in the shootings. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.