Former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov showed up at the Investigative Committee on Friday morning for questioning in connection with the Oboronservis case, the committee's official spokesman, Vladimir Markin, told RIA-Novosti.
The former defense minister, who was dismissed from his post by President Vladimir Putin in October amid allegations of embezzlement by Defense Ministry supply contractor Oboronservis, is providing witness testimony in the case, RBC reported.
Earlier, Alexander Sorokin, deputy chairman of the Investigative Committee and head of the military investigative department, said that Serdyukov could only be questioned if there were a very serious basis for doing so, and that a whole set of procedural and investigative measures would have to be taken.
"For that we needed a certain amount of time. Now, as a result of the work done by the investigators in the main military investigative department, questions for the former minister have been outlined concerning the circumstances of crimes committed within the ministry," Sorokin said.
Earlier, reports circulated in the media that the Oboronservis case had died down, but Markin denied those reports, saying that the investigation is large-scale and that many people involved in the case have been providing testimony. He added that 10 criminal charges had already been filed as part of one integrated case.