A jar of mushrooms is the primary culprit in the deaths of five people who were discovered recently in the Siberian town of Novokuznetsk, news agency Interfax reported Sunday.
Last week, local authorities discovered the bodies of five individuals aged between 35 and 55 in an apartment together bearing no signs of having suffered violent deaths.
Local investigators said in a statement that the deceased had led "an asocial lifestyle of alcohol abuse."
"The victims were bums who could have obtained food at waste dumps or somewhere else. A jar of mushrooms was found at the spot. Perhaps these mushrooms were the reason for poisoning," a spokesman for the Kemerovo region investigative committee told Interfax.
Initially, Interfax had reported that the men died of alcohol poisoning.