Support The Moscow Times!

Timeline: How the Hunt for the Bombing Suspects Unfolded

A woman carrying a girl from their home as a SWAT team searches for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings in Watertown on Friday. Charles Krupa

Key moments related to the search for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, based on reports from the Middlesex County district attorney, Massachusetts State Police and Boston Police Department.

5:10 p.m. Thursday, investigators release photographs and video of two suspects and ask for the public's help in identifying them.

10:20 p.m., shots are fired on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, just outside Boston.

10:30 p.m., an MIT campus police officer who was responding to a disturbance is found shot multiple times in his vehicle, apparently in a confrontation with the bombing suspects. He is later pronounced dead.

Shortly afterward, two armed men reportedly carjack a Mercedes SUV in Cambridge. A man who was in the vehicle is held for about a half hour and released unharmed at a gas station in Cambridge.

Police soon pursue the carjacked vehicle in Watertown, just west of Cambridge.

Some kind of explosive devices are thrown from the vehicle in an apparent attempt to stop police. The carjackers and police exchange gunfire. A police officer is seriously injured. One suspect is critically injured and later pronounced dead.

Authorities launch a manhunt for the other suspect.

1 a.m. Friday, gunshots and explosions are heard in Watertown. Dozens of police officers and FBI agents converge on a Watertown neighborhood.

4:30 a.m., Massachusetts State Police and the Boston Police Department tell people living in that neighborhood to stay in their homes. They identify the carjackers as the same men suspected in the bombings. Overnight, police also release a photograph of one of the suspects. The image apparently was taken from surveillance video at a gas station in Cambridge. Authorities initially say the suspects robbed the store but later say they did not.

5:50 a.m. authorities urge residents in Watertown, Newton, Waltham, Belmont, Cambridge, Arlington and the Allston-Brighton neighborhoods of Boston to stay indoors. All mass transit is shut down.

6:35 a.m., The Associated Press reports that the suspects are from Dagestan and lived in the U.S. for at least a year.

6:45 a.m., The Associated Press identifies the surviving Boston bomb suspect as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who has been living in Cambridge.

8 a.m., Boston's police commissioner says all of Boston must stay in their homes as the search for the surviving suspect continues.

8:40 a.m., a U.S. law enforcement official and the uncle of the suspects confirm that the name of the slain suspect is Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Dzhokhar's older brother.

10:20 a.m., Police say a gray Honda Civic believed to be linked to Dzhokhar has been recovered in Boston.

10:35 a.m., the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth says it closed its campus and ordered an evacuation after confirming that Dzhokhar is registered there.

11:30 a.m., Massachusetts State Police explain that the brothers were in the Honda Civic when they carjacked the Mercedes SUV. For a while, each drove one of the two vehicles, but then ditched the Honda and reunited in the Mercedes.

12:35 p.m., state police in Watertown say officers are searching door-to-door but still have not found the bombing suspect.

6:30 p.m., Massachusetts Gov. Patrick Deval announces that mass transit is resuming and the "stay indoors" order is being lifted, even though Dzhokhar remains on the lam. State police say he fled on foot and there are no indications he has a vehicle. They believe he is still in the state because of his ties to the area.

Around the time the order is lifted, a flurry of gunfire breaks out in the community that was being searched. Law enforcement officials locate Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in a boat parked behind a home.

8:45 p.m., Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is taken into custody by police.

Related articles:

… we have a small favor to ask. As you may have heard, The Moscow Times, an independent news source for over 30 years, has been unjustly branded as a "foreign agent" by the Russian government. This blatant attempt to silence our voice is a direct assault on the integrity of journalism and the values we hold dear.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. Our commitment to providing accurate and unbiased reporting on Russia remains unshaken. But we need your help to continue our critical mission.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and you can be confident that you're making a significant impact every month by supporting open, independent journalism. Thank you.

paiment methods
Not ready to support today?
Remind me later.

Read more