Support The Moscow Times!

Schoolgirl, 12, in Coma After Moonshine Binge

A Vladivostok sixth-grader fell into a coma after she and three classmates celebrated the start of the new school year Thursday by drinking two bottles of moonshine, local news agency Deita.ru reported.

The parents of the 12 year old, whose name was withheld, discovered her unconscious beside a garage near their house, the report said. She was rushed to the hospital and remained in critical condition Thursday.

The other three girls managed to stumble home safely, Deita.ru added.

The girls bought the suspicious vodka from the store nearest to their school, a police spokesperson said.

Police are searching for the owner of the store, which did not have a permit to sell hard alcohol, and are prepared to charge the saleswoman with selling alcohol to minors.

Another local news agency, Primorye 24, posted a video on its YouTube page Thursday of five young schoolgirls staggering along a residential road. It remained unclear whether these were the same girls who poisoned themselves with moonshine.

Read more