Support The Moscow Times!

Doping Charges ‘No Reason to Move World Cup From Russia’ — Former Sports Minister

Vitaly Mutko Ivan Sekretarev / AP

Deputy Prime Minister and former Minister of Sport Vitaly Mutko said that a report accusing the Russian athletes of doping won’t affect the country’s hosting the 2018 World Cup. 

“Someone has a great desire to take [the World Cup] away,” Mutko told reporters on Wednesday. “We understand that everyone has their own goals, but overall I do not see any problems.” 

Read about Russia's embattled former Minister of Sport 

Mutko praised ongoing preparations for the championship by pointing out they had improved the country’s infrastructure. 

Last week, Robert McLaren of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Independent Commission published the second installment of a report on Russia’s doping program. The report claims to have identified over 1,000 Russian athletes in 30 Olympic sports who used prohibited substances. 

The 2018 World Cup is set to take place between June 14 and July 15, 2018. The competition will be held in 11 Russian cities, including Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

As we approach the holiday season, please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world’s largest country.