Support The Moscow Times!

Russian Infant Hospitalized After Ingesting 'Spice' Drug

Russian police in the Volgograd region have detained a man whose 1-year-old son accidentally ingested the synthetic drug known as “spice” and fell into a coma, investigators said.

The father, 29, who was responsible for bringing the drug into the home, allegedly prevented the boy's mother from seeking medical help after the boy ingested the drug and fell ill.

Only after the infant's condition became critical was he brought to the hospital, the aide to the chief of the regional Investigative Committee Natalya Kunitskaya was quoted by RIA Novosti news agency as saying Sunday.

The man has been detained on charges of distribution of illegal drugs, the report said.

The incident followed another case in the Novosibirsk region earlier this month, when three 5-year-old girls were hospitalized with “spice” poisoning after tasting a “soup” they made during kindergarten playtime that contained a packet of unidentified powder innocently added by one of the children.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.