Enjoying ad-free content?
Since July 1, 2024, we have disabled all ads to improve your reading experience.
This commitment costs us $10,000 a month. Your support can help us fill the gap.
Support us
Our journalism is banned in Russia. We need your help to keep providing you with the truth.

Russia to Buy Gas Turbines for Crimea From Siemens Subsidiary – Report

Siemens owns a 65 percent stake in Siemens Gas Turbines Technologies, which manufactures and services gas turbines.

Russia will buy gas turbines for two new power plants to be built in the annexed territory of Crimea from a company majority-owned by Germany's Siemens, newspaper Vedomosti reported Tuesday citing unidentified sources.

Russian engineering company Technopromexport, a subsidiary of massive state technology holding Rostec, has already signed the contract with St. Petersburg-based Siemens Gas Turbines Technologies (SGTT), Vedomosti reported, citing an unidentified government official and a source close to one side of the deal.

Siemens, the largest engineering company in Europe, owns a 65 percent stake in Siemens Gas Turbines Technologies, which manufactures and services gas turbines. The remaining 35 percent stake is owned by Russian partner Power Machines.

If confirmed, such a deal could violate EU sanctions imposed on Crimea in December that bar EU companies from exporting energy technology to Crimea or providing services to energy infrastructure there.

A Siemens spokeswoman told The Moscow Times that the company always does business "within the valid political and legal frameworks."

"Siemens respects the decisions taken regarding sanctions and will, of course, abide by the current sanction provisions," she said. Siemens cannot discuss the details of individual contracts, she added.

Russia's annexation of Crimea from Ukraine last year has put the region in a delicate position, with much of its most vital supplies — including power — still coming from Ukraine. At peak hours Crimea now receives about 90 percent of its energy from Ukraine, according to Vedomosti.

The contract with SGTT concerns four combined cycle gas turbines, according to Vedomosti. A Vedomosti source said that the equipment would first be sent to the southern Russian town of Taman in order to evade sanctions but then later delivered to Crimea.

… we have a small favor to ask. As you may have heard, The Moscow Times, an independent news source for over 30 years, has been unjustly branded as a "foreign agent" by the Russian government. This blatant attempt to silence our voice is a direct assault on the integrity of journalism and the values we hold dear.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. Our commitment to providing accurate and unbiased reporting on Russia remains unshaken. But we need your help to continue our critical mission.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and you can be confident that you're making a significant impact every month by supporting open, independent journalism. Thank you.

paiment methods
Not ready to support today?
Remind me later.

Read more