Support The Moscow Times!

Man Who Tried to Break Into U.S. Embassy Wasn't Naked, Spokesman Says

The U.S. Embassy in Moscow.

The U.S. Embassy on Thursday denied media reports that said a man who tried to break into its Moscow compound a day earlier had been naked.

"Lots of crazy stuff out there about a 'naked intruder,'" embassy spokesman Will Stevens said on his Twitter account. "It's not true. He was fully clothed."

Earlier Thursday, news agency Interfax cited an unidentified law enforcement official as saying that a man wearing no clothes had tried to break into the U.S. Embassy compound on Novinsky Bulvar.

The "naked" man reportedly told police he was being followed and was attempting to seek refuge in the embassy, Interfax said.

Stevens confirmed a man had tried to enter the compound on Wednesday evening, adding that "security forces responded immediately and the man was apprehended."

"Clothes on or no?" Twitter user Alex44 asked, just to make sure.

To which the spokesman replied: "Definitely fully clothed."

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

Please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world's largest country.