Support The Moscow Times!

Chernobyl Shelter Planned

KIEV — The Ukrainian president's office said enough donation pledges have been received to begin construction of a new shelter over the site of the world's worst nuclear disaster.

Foreign Minister Kostyantyn Hryshchenko told President Viktor Yanukovych on Tuesday that work on the 740 million euro ($1.04 billion) project at the Chernobyl nuclear plant could begin this year and should be completed in 2015.

Anton Usov, a spokesman for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, which manages the project, said international donors have so far pledged 670 million euros ($940 million). He said the remainder should be raised as the project progresses.

Ukraine this year marked the 25th anniversary of the disaster.


Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.