Support The Moscow Times!

One Killed in Blaze at Opera Nightclub

Firefighters dousing a blaze at the Opera nightclub on Tuesday morning. Vladimir Filonov

One person was killed and two were reported missing after a blaze early Tuesday in a Moscow nightclub that had previously been closed twice because of fire safety violations and where a small fire broke out in late January.

Fire safety violations in the Opera nightclub on Ulitsa Tryokhgorny Val near the Ulitsa 1905 Goda metro station were similar to those discovered in the Khromaya Loshad, or "Lame Horse," a Perm nightclub where 155 people died in a fire last December, a fire department spokesman told reporters.

Paths to the fire exits in the Opera were constructed out of flammable materials, such as wood and foam rubber, which allowed the fire to spread easily over an area of 1,200 square meters, spokesman Yevgeny Gusev said Tuesday, RIA-Novosti reported. The club also had no automatic fire extinguishing system, he said.

Moscow district prosecutors are investigating what started the fire, the Prosecutor General's Office said in a statement.

A small fire broke out in the nightclub in late January, but no one was injured, Gusev said.

Courts temporarily closed the Opera because of fire safety violations in March and December last year, RIA-Novosti reported, citing emergency officials.

The club reopened in January after coming in line with some of the regulations, but in February authorities fined the club's owner after an inspection revealed that the club had no automatic fire extinguishing system, Yevgeny Bobylev, a spokesman for the Moscow branch of the Emergency Situations Ministry, told RIA-Novosti.   

Firefighters found the body of one man in the burning club, but two security guards are still missing, Bobylev told Interfax. Officials did not identify the victim or the missing guards.

Police woke up and evacuated about 250 people from a dormitory attached to the club, and a beauty salon located in the same building was destroyed, a city police source told RIA-Novosti.

Firefighters received a call about the blaze at about 3 a.m. Tuesday and extinguished it by 7 a.m., Bobylev said.

In early December, following the Perm tragedy, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin ordered the Emergency Situations Ministry to inspect nightclubs and concert halls across the country. Moscow’s fire safety watchdog asked a court later that month to shut down 54 local nightclubs and cafes after inspections showed numerous fire safety violations.

While fire safety violations have remained a consistent problem throughout the country in recent years, Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu told reporters last year that fires killed a total of 13,148 people in 2009, a decrease of 11 percent from 15,165 people in 2008. He said firefighters were called to extinguish about 200,000 fires, a drop of 8.2 percent from the previous year.

Even so, Tuesday's fire at the Opera was just one of several incidents in the past few days.

A fire in a wooden dormitory in a Bashkortostan village killed five people, including a child, on Sunday, RIA-Novosti reported. The cause of the fire is being determined.

In Perm, a fire broke out early Tuesday at a plant owned by one of Russia's largest petrochemicals companies, Sibur, and rapidly spread more than 300 square meters, RIA-Novosti reported. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze enough to prevent an explosion, and there were no casualties.


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Our weekly newsletter contains a hand-picked selection of news, features, analysis and more from The Moscow Times. You will receive it in your mailbox every Friday. Never miss the latest news from Russia. Preview
Subscribers agree to the Privacy Policy

A Message from The Moscow Times:

Dear readers,

We are facing unprecedented challenges. Russia's Prosecutor General's Office has designated The Moscow Times as an "undesirable" organization, criminalizing our work and putting our staff at risk of prosecution. This follows our earlier unjust labeling as a "foreign agent."

These actions are direct attempts to silence independent journalism in Russia. The authorities claim our work "discredits the decisions of the Russian leadership." We see things differently: we strive to provide accurate, unbiased reporting on Russia.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. But to continue our work, we need your help.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and every contribution makes a significant impact.

By supporting The Moscow Times, you're defending open, independent journalism in the face of repression. Thank you for standing with us.

Once
Monthly
Annual
Continue
paiment methods
Not ready to support today?
Remind me later.

Read more