Support The Moscow Times!

Exxon's Sakhalin-1 Signs China Deal

The view of a land rig at Sakhalin-1's Chaivo field. The Exxon-led project aims to sell 8 bcm of gas per year to China. Sergei Karpukhin
ExxonMobil has signed a preliminary agreement to sell all the natural gas it exports from Sakhalin-1 to China National Petroleum, underscoring the importance of the island's oil and gas projects to Asian markets, a spokeswoman said Monday.

The U.S. company aims to sell 8 billion cubic meters of gas per year to China, spokeswoman Dilyara Sydykova said. The preliminary agreement paves the way for a final sale and purchase agreement to be signed with CNPC.

The agreement concerned each party's liabilities and the pricing principles, Interfax said, citing a Sakhalin-1 source. It said the agreement was the result of a memorandum of understanding signed in November 2004.

Exxon currently supplies from its Sakhalin-1 project 1.7 billion cubic meters annually to consumers in the region of Khabarovsk and plans to raise that figure to 3 billion cubic meters, Sydykova said.

The Exxon-led project includes several Japanese companies such as Itochu and Marubeni as well as India's ONGC Videsh, and Russia's Rosneft. The project's offshore fields hold 2.3 billion barrels of oil and 485 billion cubic meters of gas, the company said, and oil output will rise to 250,000 barrels per day by the beginning of next year.

Separately, Sydykova said the Exxon unit that oversees the project was in talks with Gazprom to secure access to China via the company's pipeline network.

The company "confirms it is in discussions with Gazprom ... regarding potential options for delivering pipeline gas to Northeast China," Sydykova said.

There was no immediate comment from Gazprom on the statement.

Exxon's partners have previously suggested liquefying a part of its exports.

(AP, Reuters)

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Our weekly newsletter contains a hand-picked selection of news, features, analysis and more from The Moscow Times. You will receive it in your mailbox every Friday. Never miss the latest news from Russia. Preview
Subscribers agree to the Privacy Policy

A Message from The Moscow Times:

Dear readers,

We are facing unprecedented challenges. Russia's Prosecutor General's Office has designated The Moscow Times as an "undesirable" organization, criminalizing our work and putting our staff at risk of prosecution. This follows our earlier unjust labeling as a "foreign agent."

These actions are direct attempts to silence independent journalism in Russia. The authorities claim our work "discredits the decisions of the Russian leadership." We see things differently: we strive to provide accurate, unbiased reporting on Russia.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. But to continue our work, we need your help.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and every contribution makes a significant impact.

By supporting The Moscow Times, you're defending open, independent journalism in the face of repression. Thank you for standing with us.

Once
Monthly
Annual
Continue
paiment methods
Not ready to support today?
Remind me later.

Read more