Support The Moscow Times!

Suspected Moscow Terror Plotter Gets 12 Years Behind Bars

Dmitry Serebryakov / TASS

A Kyrgyz migrant suspected of planning an Islamic State (IS) terror attack in Moscow has been sentenced to 12 years in a high-security prison. 

His conviction follows reports of foiled IS attacks planned for a cathedral in St. Petersburg and New Year’s celebrations in Moscow.

Russia’s Interior Minister said last month that the 23-year-old Kyrgyz native had been detained for planning to run pedestrians over in a Russian KamAZ truck, the RBC business portal reported Wednesday. 

The suspect arrived in Russia last January and was said to have recruited accomplices before being detained in March 2017. 

In October, an Uzbek native said he was inspired by the IS terror group when he killed eight people in a pickup truck attack in New York City. 

IS is a terrorist organization banned in Russia.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

Please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world's largest country.