Support The Moscow Times!

Son of Suspected Crimean Shooter Sentenced for Rioting

Nebiyev senior, 55, was suspected of opening fire at medics at an ambulance depot in Simferopol late last month.

The son of a man suspected of killing two medics at an ambulance depot in Crimea last month was given a suspended sentence for taking part in riots last year, two days after his father was found dead.

Eskender Nebiyev was handed a 2 1/2-year suspended sentence for participating in mass riots in Crimea in February 2014, a month before the peninsula was annexed from Ukraine by Russia, RIA Novosti state news agency reported Monday.

According to the prosecution, he had attended a rally in front of the Crimean parliament on Feb. 26, 2014 at which protesters allegedly called on Crimean Tatars not to obey Ukrainian law enforcement.

The body of his father, Bekir Nebiyev, was found Saturday on the outskirts of Simferopol in a severely disfigured state, the peninsula's top prosecutor told state-run news agency RIA Novosti on Saturday.

Nebiyev senior, 55, was suspected of opening fire at medics at an ambulance depot in Simferopol late last month. Two people died and two more were injured as a result of the attack.

Bullet damage to a piece of Nebiyev's clothing and a shotgun found at the scene suggested the cause of death had been suicide, the regional branch of the Investigative Committee said Saturday in an online statement.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.