The 16-year-old son of a Novosibirsk business tycoon was taken into custody Wednesday on suspicion of killing his 16-year-old ex-girlfriend, the Tayga.info regional news site reported.
In ruling to detain the teen, the Novosibirsk City Court overruled the decision of a district court that had earlier left the alleged murderer under house arrest, a ruling that had prompted a public outcry.
The girl's body was found with multiple stab wounds on Aug. 28 in the house of Igor Konkov, a local business tycoon whose son was celebrating his birthday that day and had apparently invited the girl, whom he used to date, to the party, media reported.
The girl's father told the media that Konkov's son had threatened to stab her several times both in text messages to her and on social networks. After he killed her, Konkov junior called one of his friends using the girl's phone and bragged about the murder, her father claimed.
“Her phone could only be unlocked using her fingerprint, so he must have pressed the button with her finger after she was already dead,” he was cited by the Gazeta.ru news website as saying Wednesday.
With Konkov being a prominent businessman, the family of the girl had feared his son would escape punishment, media reported.
Konkov senior told local media another version of events. According to him, the death was the result of a suicide pact, and he found his son trying to hang himself next to the girl's body.