Support The Moscow Times!

Russia's Investigative Committee Detains One Over Trawler Tragedy

Russian Emergencies Ministry members help the survivors from the Dalniy Vostok fishing vessel.

Russia's Investigative Committee has detained the deputy director of a company that owned the trawler that sank in the Sea of Okhotsk on Thursday, claiming 56 lives, the law enforcement agency said on its website Monday.

Thirteen people remain missing in the aftermath of the incident.

A search warrant was also issued in relation to the owner company's director, who is currently in South Korea, the statement said.

"The investigators believe these will not be the only people who will be criminally charged over this shipwreck and deaths. The investigators will check everybody, including the government officials who were responsible for ensuring the safety of the fishing vessel," according to the statement.

Earlier on Sunday, Oleg Kozhemyako, acting governor of the Sakhalin region, where the trawler was based, said that the vessel was carrying only about a fifth of the ballast it should have been, making it severely unstable, The Associated Press reported.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.