Support The Moscow Times!

Trial Date Set for Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect

The trial of Boston marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will begin on Nov. 3, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Massachusetts has said.

U.S. District Judge George O'Toole set the trial date at a hearing in Boston on Wednesday after rejecting the defense team's appeal to postpone it until September 2015 or later. Tsarnaev's lawyers requested time to review massive amounts of evidence, including 2,000 items that are still being analyzed by FBI forensics.

Judy Clarke, Tsarnaev's lead attorney, said "meeting the [November] trial date will be impossible."

"That's the calendar," the judge said, commenting on his decision. "I think it is a realistic one and a fair one."

Prosecutors want the death penalty for 20-year-old Tsarnaev who is suspected along with his late brother Tamerlan of setting off homemade pressure cooker bombs at the Boston Marathon finish line, killing three and injuring more than 200, in April last year.

Dzhokhar, who was arrested in a special operation, has pleaded not guilty to all charges. His brother was killed in a police shootout in the days following the bomb attack.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

As we approach the holiday season, please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world’s largest country.