Support The Moscow Times!

Death Toll Reaches 7 in Volgograd Bus Attack

The remains of the bus after the explosion.

A  Volgograd woman who suffered serious injuries as a result of the explosion on a Volgograd bus on Oct. 21 has died in a Moscow hospital, Volgograd officials said.

The 59-year-old woman's death brings the number of casualties in the terrorist attack, which saw a female suicide bomber detonate an explosive device on a city bus, to seven, Interfax reported Monday.

The news comes a day after media reported the bomber's husband Dmitry Sokolov had been killed in a shootout with counter-terrorism troops. Investigators suspect Sokolov of making the bomb that was used in the attack.

Out of the five victims still undergoing medical treatment, two are being treated in Volgograd hospitals, and three others have been transferred to Moscow, a Volgograd health official said.

… we have a small favor to ask. As you may have heard, The Moscow Times, an independent news source for over 30 years, has been unjustly branded as a "foreign agent" by the Russian government. This blatant attempt to silence our voice is a direct assault on the integrity of journalism and the values we hold dear.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. Our commitment to providing accurate and unbiased reporting on Russia remains unshaken. But we need your help to continue our critical mission.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and you can be confident that you're making a significant impact every month by supporting open, independent journalism. Thank you.

Once
Monthly
Annual
Continue
paiment methods
Not ready to support today?
Remind me later.

Read more