The authorities have declared a state of emergency at a village in the Stavropol region after two people were diagnosed with anthrax infection.
The man and woman were hospitalized on Friday with suspected infection and the diagnosis was later confirmed by laboratory analysis.
Emergency services teams were sent to Solnechnodolsk — about 1,300 kilometers south of Moscow — to prevent the spread of infection, the regional emergencies department said Monday.
The source of the infection has been identified as infected meat from the sheep that the two raised on a small private farm, RIA Novosti reported Monday.
The farm has been disinfected, including living quarters, farm buildings, items used in animal care, and areas used for animal slaughter.
The infection is contagious, and can be transmitted through ingestion, inhalation, or direct contact with anthrax spores.
The regional emergencies department has recommended that all residents buy meat only from licensed traders.
As anthrax is most commonly transmitted through exposure to infected animals, those who work with livestock and animal products have been told to get vaccinated.
Cattle breeders have been told to vaccinate their herds, Interfax reported Tuesday.
Local prosecutors have opened a case against the owner of the farmstead for violations of veterinary and sanitary rules.