Support The Moscow Times!

Case Into Monastery Abuse

The Investigative Committee said Wednesday that it has opened a criminal case into complaints by several underage boarders at the Vladimir region’s Svyato-Bogolyubsky Monastery that they were regularly abused by staff.

Three teenagers spoke of beatings, sleep deprivation and forced labor in an interview with Izvestia last week. Similar accusations were voiced by another boarder last year, but no one was charged.

The committee said in a statement on its web site that no suspects have been identified. It said possible charges could include deprivation of freedom, while children’s ombudsman Pavel Astakhov said torture charges might follow, Interfax reported.


Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.