Support The Moscow Times!

Anti-War NGO Reports Rise in Forced Enlistments Across Russia

A contract service recruitment office in Moscow. Arthur Novosiltsev / Moskva News Agency

Idite Lesom (“Get Lost”), a group that helps Russian men avoid military service, has reported receiving a growing number of complaints from individuals who were forcibly detained and coerced into signing contracts with Russia’s Defense Ministry.

Between Aug. 10 and 18, Idite Lesom recorded 14 separate cases from regions across Russia, including Krasnodar, Omsk, Arkhangelsk and the Jewish autonomous district, as well as the republics of Udmurtia and Buryatia. 

According to the organization, police are detaining men on the street, at public venues and workplaces. Reported incidents include an individual detained after a high school class reunion, another stopped after leaving a supermarket and others picked up under the guise of routine identity or drug checks.

In multiple cases, men were heavily intoxicated when detained or were targeted specifically for public drinking before being pressured to enlist in the military.

Idite Lesom spokesperson Ivan Chuviliaev said the uptick was “significant” and part of a broader trend that began in July.

“The reason for it is likely another period of turbulence and uncertainty — hence the panic,” Chuviliaev told The Moscow Times, pointing to growing rumors of an upcoming wave of mobilization.

The Kremlin has denied any plans for a new draft campaign. President Vladimir Putin last called up 300,000 reservists in September 2022, Russia’s first mobilization since World War II, triggering rare public protests and prompting tens of thousands of Russians to flee the country.

Since then, Moscow has relied on generous signing bonuses and salaries to recruit contract soldiers rather than announcing another nationwide draft.

The renewed speculation over another wave of mobilization comes as Russia’s offensive has slowed to one of its lowest rates of advance and the country faces growing challenges in replenishing its forces. 

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Our weekly newsletter contains a hand-picked selection of news, features, analysis and more from The Moscow Times. You will receive it in your mailbox every Friday. Never miss the latest news from Russia. Preview
Subscribers agree to the Privacy Policy

A Message from The Moscow Times:

Dear readers,

We are facing unprecedented challenges. Russia's Prosecutor General's Office has designated The Moscow Times as an "undesirable" organization, criminalizing our work and putting our staff at risk of prosecution. This follows our earlier unjust labeling as a "foreign agent."

These actions are direct attempts to silence independent journalism in Russia. The authorities claim our work "discredits the decisions of the Russian leadership." We see things differently: we strive to provide accurate, unbiased reporting on Russia.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. But to continue our work, we need your help.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and every contribution makes a significant impact.

By supporting The Moscow Times, you're defending open, independent journalism in the face of repression. Thank you for standing with us.

Once
Monthly
Annual
Continue
paiment methods
Not ready to support today?
Remind me later.

Read more