Support The Moscow Times!

One in Four Russians Believes the Sun Travels Around the Earth

Kevin M. Gill / Flickr

One in four Russians believes the sun rotates around the Earth, the head of Russia's state-backed pollster has revealed.

Valery Fyodorov, general director of the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM), admitted that he was “surprised” by the findings— but said that sociologists consistently found large numbers of people rejecting scientific fact.

“A quarter of Russians believe the Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun, but that the Sun spins around the Earth. And this is a sociological trend which has been established, rechecked and reaffirmed,” Fedorov told Russian tabloid Izvestia.

Fedorov also revealed that 90 percent of VTsIOM polls were never published. He said that most of the state-run company's surveys were commissioned, and that the remaining 10 percent were “enough” to build a full picture of the Russian mood.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

As we approach the holiday season, please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world’s largest country.