Support The Moscow Times!

Bolshoi Chief Says Accused Dancer Could Keep Job

The Bolshoi Theater's general director says a dancer suspected of ordering an attack on the theater's ballet chief would keep his job if acquitted by a court.

Anatoly Iksanov told reporters Tuesday that 29-year-old leading soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko would not be fired unless found guilty.

Dmitrichenko was arrested last week on suspicion of organizing the Jan. 17 acid attack on artistic director Sergei Filin, who is recovering from severe burns to his eyes and face. Dmitrichenko admits to organizing the attack but has told a Moscow court he never intended for it to cause such harm to Filin. Dmitrichenko has said he was angry at Filin for what he describes as corruption and favoritism at the theater.

(AP)

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

As we approach the holiday season, please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world’s largest country.