Support The Moscow Times!

Child Dies of Anthrax in Russia's Northern Siberia

A 12-year boy has died from anthrax in a hospital in northern Siberia amid an outbreak in the Yamal-Nenets autonomous district, the Interfax news agency reported Monday.

The boy was part of a reindeer-herding family and contracted the intestinal form of the disease after eating infected venison, according to the local Siberian Times newspaper.

Eight people in Russia's northern Yamal-Nenets autonomous district have contracted anthrax as of Aug. 1, including three children, the TASS news agency reported Monday, citing the governor's press service.

A total of 72 people, including 41 children, are currently in hospital for observation. The authorities announced quarantine and evacuation in the Yamal district on July 25 after more than 1,000 reindeer died of anthrax — which has struck Siberia for the first time in 75 years.

The outbreak was likely caused by extreme heat, which resulted in the thawing of a frozen anthrax-infected reindeer corpse.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.