Support The Moscow Times!

Turkey Says Insufficient Evidence to Prosecute Suspected Killer of Russian Pilot

A Turkish court has ruled there is insufficient evidence to prosecute a man suspected of killing a Russian pilot, the RBC newspaper reported Friday.

Turkish national Alparslan Celik admitted opening fire on the Russian pilot and his navigator as they ejected from their downed plane in November.

The Su-24 jet had been shot down by Turkish military forces near the border with Syria where Celik had been fighting a group opposing government forces in Syria. The pilot ejected safely, but was killed by ground fire. The navigator survived, although a Russian marine was killed in the mission to rescue him.

The Turkish prosecutor decided that there were no grounds for prosecution after examining the evidence, Celik's lawyer said.

Celik will remain in custody while a separate investigation into unauthorized weapons possession is being conducted, Reuters reported.

The downing of the jet has caused long-lasting tensions between Turkey and the Kremlin. While Ankara insists that the Russian jet was in Turkey's air space and ignored repeated warnings, Russia dismisses the claims and says the plane was flying over Syria.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.