Support The Moscow Times!

Kashin Sued for $3,500 for Beating Claim

The head of the Federal Agency for Youth Affairs filed on Monday a 100,000 ruble ($3,500) defamation lawsuit against journalist Oleg Kashin for linking him to a brutal attack, the pro-Kremlin youth group Nashi said.

Vasily Yakemenko may also demand a criminal case to be opened against Kashin, a Kommersant reporter who was beaten into a coma by two unknown men outside his Moscow apartment building in November, Nashi said in an e-mailed statement. No arrests have been made over the attack.

No date for a court hearing has been set, said Nashi, which was previously headed by Yakemenko.

Kashin did not comment on the lawsuit Monday. He wrote on his LiveJournal blog last month that he had no doubt that Yakemenko, whom Kashin had criticized in his reporting, was behind the attack. Nashi, known for organizing intimidation campaigns against opposition activists and journalists, has been accused of violence in the past but not been convicted of wrongdoing in court.

Yakemenko threatened to sue Kashin late last month and followed through after the journalist refused to remove the allegations from his blog.

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

As we approach the holiday season, please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world’s largest country.