The Foreign Ministry has allowed tourists to travel to Egypt again, official representative Alexander Lukashevich said Thursday.
He said the ministry recommended tourists be alert and avoid visiting cities other than the Red Sea resorts of Hurghada and Sharm el-Sheikh. In practice, the announcement means the end to the ban on sales of tour packages and on charter flights to the country. European tourists have already returned to Egypt.
"The tourist industry has suffered colossal losses," a statement issued by tour operators said earlier this week. "There are at least a million Russians who can only afford to travel abroad thanks to the low cost of the Egyptian product," it added. Last year, 2.8 million Russians vacationed in Egypt.