Support The Moscow Times!

Budget Airline Avianova Stops Flying

Budget airline Avianova has officially stopped scheduled flights, the company said Monday.

"Due to the worsening economic situation, Avianova is stopping all scheduled passenger flights from 00:01 Moscow time Oct. 10, 2011," the company said in a statement on its web site.

Last week, the company? said? passengers with tickets for flights after Oct. 9 will be given full refunds.

Avianova was founded in 2007 as a joint venture between Arizona-based investment firm Indigo Partners, which holds a 49 percent stake, and A1, part of Mikhail Fridman’s Alfa Group, with the remaining 51 percent.

… we have a small favor to ask.

As you may have heard, The Moscow Times, an independent news source for over 30 years, has been unjustly branded as a "foreign agent" by the Russian government. This blatant attempt to silence our voice is a direct assault on the integrity of journalism and the values we hold dear.

We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. Our commitment to providing accurate and unbiased reporting on Russia remains unshaken. But we need your help to continue our critical mission.

Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just 2. It's quick to set up, and you can be confident that you're making a significant impact every month by supporting open, independent journalism. Thank you.


Read more