Built in the mid-18th century by the wealthy Sheremetyev family, it is one of the oldest estates of its kind still standing in Russia's capital. The family used the estate as a summer country home, hosting magnificent receptions, theatrical shows and celebrations.
During the 1770s-1780s, the Kuskovo Estate was visited by nearly 30,000 people, including Catherine the Great and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II.
The estate was converted into a museum in 1919. Today, it houses the Russian State Museum of Ceramics, with pieces dating from antiquity to the present. The estate's parks, meanwhile, are a favorite spot for Muscovites to enjoy the outdoors.