Support The Moscow Times!

No Sponsors for Lake Seliger

The government will entirely fund this year's pro-Kremlin youth camp near Lake Seliger after sponsors refused to fund the event, the camp's director said.

"In the past, sponsors and partners have helped compensate our costs," camp director Alexei Volokhov told Kommersant-FM radio. "This year, we have partners, but they aren't giving money. They are giving their goods. It just so happened that no one gave any money."

Sergei Belokonev, newly installed head of the Federal Youth Agency, said earlier that 280 million rubles ($8.64 million) would be spent on this year's summer camp and that 60,000 people would attend. The budget allocated 200 million rubles to the camp in 2011.

The camp is scheduled to run in four sessions from July 1 to Aug. 2.

(MT)

Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

As the only remaining independent, English-language news source reporting from Russia, The Moscow Times plays a critical role in connecting Russia to the world.

Editorial decisions are made entirely by journalists in our newsroom, who adhere to the highest ethical standards. We fearlessly cover issues that are often considered off-limits or taboo in Russia, from domestic violence and LGBT issues to the climate crisis and a secretive nuclear blast that exposed unknowing doctors to radiation.

As we approach the holiday season, please consider making a one-time donation — or better still a recurring donation — to The Moscow Times to help us continue producing vital, high-quality journalism about the world’s largest country.