Support The Moscow Times!
Marble, brass, wood and colored tiles shine once again.

St. Petersburg's Landmark 'Fonari' Bathhouse Reopens After 15 Years

The bathhouse opened the first time 150 years ago.

In 1871 a very elegant bath house was opened on Fonarny Pereulok in St. Petersburg. Called the Voroninskiye Bani for the merchant who owned the building, Mikhail Voronin — or Fonarskiye Bani or just plain Fonari for the street it was on — in the Soviet period it became simply Bathhouse #43, with much of its elegance stripped away.

The bathhouse was closed in 2006 for a three-year reconstruction project, but it took 15 years to bring it back to its former glory, with a few 21st-century bells and whistles added. The project was headed by the Megre Interiors design bureau, with guidance from Artyom Shakhnazarov and the renowned architect Rafael Dayanov, who sadly did not live to see the reopening on April 23.

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.