Moscow's Shabolovskaya metro station has reopened after being shut temporarily due to smoke rising from beneath the escalators Friday morning, a city transport official said.
The escalators failed to turn on at the first attempt when the station opened Friday morning. Smoke started to appear after metro staff tried to switch them on a second time, Interfax reported.
Firemen were called out at around 6 a.m. and established that the smoke was caused by a short circuit.
Ventilation equipment was set up to get rid of the smoke and additional buses were made available to compensate for the closure.
The doors reopened to passengers at 8.30 a.m., a Moscow metro spokesman said.
No one was injured or suffered from smoke inhalation as a result of the fault.