Support The Moscow Times!

Zakayev Denies Attack

Akhmed Zakayev, a London-based representative for Chechen insurgents, has denied accusations that he was behind an attack on Chechnya’s parliament that killed six people, Ekho Moskvy radio reported Wednesday.

Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov blamed Zakayev, who is wanted by Russia on separate terrorism charges, for Tuesday’s attack. But Zakayev said he had nothing to do with it.

Earlier news reports said the assault was likely carried out by the Chechen warlord Khusein Gakayev, whom Zakayev pledged allegiance to last week.

Meanwhile, a police officer and three militants were killed Wednesday in a shootout in Kabardino-Balkaria’s capital, Nalchik, and two militants were surrounded and shot dead by Chechen police in Dagestan, Interfax said. 

(MT)


Read more

Independent journalism isn’t dead. You can help keep it alive.

The Moscow Times’ team of journalists has been first with the big stories on the coronavirus crisis in Russia since day one. Our exclusives and on-the-ground reporting are being read and shared by many high-profile journalists.

We wouldn’t be able to produce this crucial journalism without the support of our loyal readers. Please consider making a donation to The Moscow Times to help us continue covering this historic time in the world’s largest country.