Support The Moscow Times!

Barkov Case Checked

The Prosecutor General’s Office has begun a check into the city police’s decision to close a criminal case over a February car accident involving LUKoil vice president Anatoly Barkov that left two dead, RIA-Novosti reported Monday.

The prosecutors did not comment on the check or say when it might be finished. Moscow police cleared Barkov and his driver in the incident last week.

Meanwhile, the head of a Moscow branch of the Federation of Russian Car Owners, Sergei Kanayev, said police falsified a video they used to clear Barkov’s driver, Novaya Gazeta reported Monday. He said his organization, which implicated Barkov’s car in an independent probe, will prove the falsification, but he did not say when that would happen.

(MT)

Read more

The need for honest and objective information on Russia is more relevant now than ever before!

To keep our newsroom in Moscow running, we need your support.