Moscow Woman Electrocuted After Dropping iPhone 4 in Bathtub
- The Moscow Times
- Feb. 10 2015 16:03
- Last edited 16:03
A 24-year-old woman has died in Moscow after reportedly being electrocuted by a smartphone charger after her iPhone 4 fell into the bathtub.
Yevgenia Sviridenko, originally from Omsk, was discovered by her flatmate as she lay floating in the bathtub on Monday evening, the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper reported Tuesday.
The flatmate, who was not identified in the report, said she had become concerned by how much time Sviridenko had spent in the bathroom.
"I walked in and saw her lying there all pale in the water. Her phone was also in the water. I pulled my friend out and noticed that her body was shaking from the shock," the flatmate was quoted as saying.
It is thought that Sviridenko had been using her smartphone while lying in the bath because her VKontakte social networking page had been visited shortly before her death, the report said.
An ambulance was called to the flat, but efforts to resuscitate Sviridenko were unsuccessful.
Sviridenko's death comes days after a 16-year-old girl died in the Bashkortostan republic after taking her phone charger into the bathroom as she was taking a shower.
A regional Investigative Committee spokesperson said preliminary tests had suggested the girl died from an electric shock but that the investigation was ongoing, Komsomolskaya Pravda reported Monday.